Siblings Marge, Bea and Frank Rosse began performing together as a trio in 1941. In 1944 Frank was drafted into the Army and was killed in action during World War II. Younger sister Geri took his place making it a female trio. They took their professional name from that of a great grandmother.
The Fontaine Sisters would place 23 songs on the BILLBOARD MAGAZINE Pop Charts during the 1950s. They reached the top of the charts once when “Hearts Of Stone” spent one week at the top of the BILLBOARD Best Sellers In Stores Chart and three weeks at the top of Most Played In Jukeboxes Chart during February of 1955. It did not reach number one on the Most Played By Disc Jockeys Chart.
The Fontaine Sisters were one of those groups that covered a number of songs made popular by black artists. “Hearts of Stone” was released by The Charms in 1954 and reached number one on the Rhythm & Blues Chart and was a top 20 pop hit as well.
They retired from the music industry in 1961 and never reunited.