Sisters Barbara Ann and Rosa Lee Hawkins and their cousin Joan Marie Johnson began singing together in grade school. Signed to the Red Bird Label after their high school graduation, they hit the big time with their first release.
“Chapel Of Love” sold over a million copies and reached the top of the charts, June 6, 1964, where it remained for three weeks right in the middle of the British Invasion.
Female vocal groups were an important part of rock and roll in the 1950’s and 1960’s, which enabled the Dixie Cups to grab the brass ring for the only time in their career. The Hawkins sisters are still on the road performing as the Dixie Cups.